Monday, October 18, 2010

Women, Their Recipes, and Peanut Butter Cookies

Some women are viciously protective of their most prized recipes, jealously guarding them with their very lives. They would probably keep them in secret recipe vaults, hidden behind portraits of ancient ancestors, if such a thing exsisted. I have been of the opinion that food is for sharing - though mostly because I am not very good with trial and error and would much rather my friends let me in on their secrets than make me figure it out myself.

When I graduated from high school (Which seems like forever ago, but was more recent than I care to admit) I spent some time waiting tables at the local counrty club. I worked closely with a woman named "Marge" who, among other things, was our baker. After weeks of devouring the most amazing peanut butter cookies I've ever had, I finally broke and asked for the recipe. Marge told me this story:

She was invited to a party hosted by a coworker of her husband. The desserts were all delicious, but the peanut butter cookies stood way out. A group of women flocked their hostess and begged for the recipe, but she refused to relinquish it. Lucky for us, Marge is a tough cookie (no pun intended) and went snooping in the kitchen until she found said recipe and was able to copy it down on a cocktail napkin without being caught. Yeah. That's right.

Since she risked her reputation, her husband's social standings, and practically broke the law, she felt it only apprpriate to share it with me, and I am paying it forward. So from Me, Marge, and Poor-unsuspecting-greedy-recipe-lady, have a cookie.....



Peanut Butter Cookie

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup peanut butter
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
Dash of salt
Granulated sugar

1. Cream sugars and butter until fluffy. Add vanilla, then eggs, beating each addition until smooth. Stir in peanut butter,

2. Mix dry ingredients and stir into creamed mixture.

3. Form balls of dough at least an inch apart (these guys spread) on an ungreased cookie sheet. Dip a fork in remaining sugar and press cookies in a criss-cross.

4. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until they look like this.....




















Cookies will still seem a bit soft but will solidify as they cool - be careful not to over bake.

5. Enjoy!




















This is the part they never tell you about on Food Network....








No comments:

Post a Comment