Saturday, May 22, 2010

Saturday Snipets

1. Well, my computer has pretty much decided to go on strike. Apparently I'm not a very good boss? Anyway, my battery has been off it's game for awhile, but my laptop stayed alive when it was plugged in (which, by the way, totally defeats the purpose of a laptop). Well, then a virus got opened, but I was luckily able to get it to a computer geek friend who fixed it. Then, when I got it home, my charger decided it had enough, rendering my laptop completely useless. Luckily, Bama Man is gracious with his computer, and I can also use my laptop at work, by borrowing another charger. Didn't necessarily want to whine, just to explain why I haven't been my compulsively blogging self. Luckily, Bama Man is a firm believer in Ebay, and my brand new charger is heading this way from Hong Kong.

2. Speaking of work, it is time for you to meet Little Girl. Little Girl is the one and a half-year-old I nanny. Little Girl has blue eyes, and brown hair that grows directly into her face. I try to keep it pulled back in one of her many bows, but that tends to be futile. Interests include electrical outlets, "My Friends Tiger and Pooh," singing, playing with the cords that hang down from the blinds, using the dog as a jungle gym, balls, bubbles, and running down the driveway. Little Girl is not a very good listener. She is, however, cute enough to get away with it. Most importantly, she seems to like me, and does at least one thing a day that makes me smile. That being said, I figured it was time for all of you to meet because I am quite certain she will be making an occasional appearance.

3. I realize this is not an entertainment blog, but I would be remiss to let the eve of the LOST series finale pass without a blip. I don't know if any of you have that love hate relationship that is watching Lost, but I do. Tomorrow, it will all be a distant memory, and I am quite sure I will have something to say about it - so brace yourselves.

4. I went to the grocery store yesterday to buy buns last minute for grilled chicken Bama Man was cookin' up. I had before me two options: I could buy regular, generic hamburger buns for price A, or freshly baked French bread buns from the bakery for price B, which is about a dollar more than price A. despite my better judgement, I went with the latter. I couldn't help myself. Now, I know what you're thinking, "It's just a buck!" and you're right, but it got me lying awake thinking (Listen, we've been through this, I'm a little obsessed with food) about how often, lately, I have chosen the slightly expensive, while seemingly gourmet options at the grocery store. Would the generic buns been as amazing as the french bread? No. But it would have been just fine! It's not really a big deal in and of itself, but I realized that between this blog and all the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks I've been reading at work, that I have somehow begun to think that I have to turn every single meal into a gourmet experience to be a good cook. That isn't even what I started this blog for! I started it to prove that a newlywed could be a domestic diva while dealing with reality, financial or otherwise, even if that means making chicken casserole every night. It's the little things that make seemingly ordinary meals special, and that shouldn't have to mean going out of budget. I could have bought those painfully normal buns and toasted them up with some butter. So I am starting fresh. Shopping sales, planning menus, and finding little ways to make ordinary extraordinary. I'm not sure if this makes sense, and it's not exactly a "snipet," but I am through accidental overspending at the grocery store. Anyone else know what I mean?

Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment