Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Recipe Swap!

Good morning! It's such a beautiful day here today! I hope your weather is fine too.


What are you planning for your Tuesday?

One thing I'm planning?



Recipe exchange!



One of my bloggy idols, Casey Wiegand, is hosting a Tuesday recipe swap and I'm joining in!



Even though it's about a million degrees outside, I just haaave to post this cozy recipe. I waited my entire life to cook homey meals for my husband, and then started running out of ideas pretty quickly. After one epic chicken 'n' dumplings fail, I got my girlfriend to give me her recipe, and it rocks! In fact, it tastes just like my sweet, late, Granny's recipe. Obviously, I can't be greedy with gold like this, so here you go!


"Granny's" Chicken 'n' Dumplings...



Ingredients:



  • 1 4-5 lb. chicken (this recipe is for two, plus leftovers, but you could easily make it for more)

  • 2 cups flour

  • 2 1/4 Tablespoons shortening

  • 1 cup ice water

  • 1 Tablespoon butter

  • 1/4 cup milk


  1. Wash the chicken and boil over medium-high heat in 5-7 cups of water, and simmer for one hour.

  2. Take out the chicken and shred (caution: that chicken will be boiling hot! If you want, the recipe can be followed up until this point and refrigerated for up to a few days). Set aside.

  3. Knead together flour and shortening until doughy. Add ice water. Using two spoons, drop dumpling dough by rough tablespoons into boiling broth. Be sure to "mash" the dumplings often (after every five or so) so they don't get dense.

  4. Add chicken back to dumpling broth and add butter and milk, to make it creamy. Simmer for 15 minutes on low.

  5. Salt to taste and enjoy!

Good luck and happy cooking!




Photobucket

1 comment: